As a beginner of CSC104 ❤️ (due October 6th)

–  Why did you choose CSC104? What do you hope to get out of the course?

I decided to choose an cs class before I went to university, because my major is statistics, I thought if I learn some knowledge of computer science would help me to study my major course. However, I nearly know nothing about computer science like programming or making software, so I choose CSC104. I didn't choose CSC108 cause it is more difficult than CSC104, I am not sure if I have confidence to learn it well. I hope I can learn the basics of computer knowledge and programming ideas which pave the way for my study of CSC108, cause I will learn CSC108 in the next semester.

–  What did you expect programming to be like, and how does it compare with your experience in the course so far? (If you programmed before, how is programming in this course similar, and how is it diff􏰀rent?) 

I used to think programming is like a process of converting input to output, there should be a programmer who write the procedures, then when he done the procedures, there will appear some perfect computer programmers that serve for the public. After I taking CSC104, I found that programming is much more complicated than I thought, people should observe the rules of programming, if there is a little mistake in the procedures, the whole program will be invalid. Some seemingly simple programs require a lot of computation and programming. Programming is a huge project!

–  What do you find interesting so far? 
I think building the picture Tower is the most interesting part. It looks really beautiful and well-balenced when it appears a image tower. The image used is a lovely koala, when building a image tower, there will appear a lot of koala, it seems magnify the cute of koala many times.


–  What do you find hard so far? Is the course easier or harder than you expected? 

I think the most hard part is calculating a result of a complicate program, I need to calculate step by step and make sure I don't make any mistakes, it is really time consuming when I doing my quiz. I think this course is within the difficulty I expected it. It is neither easy or difficult. If you take enough time to understand the knowledge and practice frequently, it is easy to do a good job in this course.

–  How did you study for the quizzes? Are you satis􏰁ed with your performance on them; if not, what do you plan to change? 

I download the materials of class and key them again in DrRacket, it helps me to memorize the knowledge. What's more, I do the practice questions that prof posted before the quiz, it is similar with the quiz, it can help me to figure out what I do not understand and test my knowledge. I got full mark on my first quiz, I am very happy about it and this brings me a lot of confidence.

–  Are there any specific Computer Science topics you're interested in?

I am interested in the history of computer science, like a shift in perceptions of the Internet, who created the Internet world, and how does computer science affect people's lives. etc.

评论

  1. Great job on organization and reflection, hope you'll continue to succeed in your CS studies. I encourage you to blog regularly about what you found interesting/challenging in the course. Looking forward to your next post!

    -Hannah (CSC104 TA)

    回复删除

发表评论

此博客中的热门博文

Something about project 1

Advices to the student beginning CSC104! (due on December 1st)